Tuesday, July 8, 2008

El Rabaño… aka we only have goat on weekends

On a lazy Tuesday night we decided try out the new Mexican joint down the street. It was formerly La Tia’s Hot Tamales. I wasn’t a big fan of La Tia’s but the location is so close and it’s nice to have a restaurant to walk to.
It’s small but clean and has these amusing/freaky murals on the outside. We started off with a Tamarind Jarritos. It was really refreshing I had never had the Tamarind before. We wanted to try the goat tacos but were informed they only have goat on the weekends.
The Pork Torta was really well done. The bread was nice and crusty which is normally my problem with Tortas. Most of the time the bread is soggy and tasteless. This bread had a little bite to it any went well with the tender filling. The pork was mild but well seasoned. I recommend ordering it with the Jalapeños for a extra kick. Lettuce, tomato and crema compliment it well.
The enchiladas come ala carte and have good flavor but were dry. We asked for some salsa and they were really great. The homemade salsa was so tasty I started dipping some of my sandwich in it. I wonder if they were ready to close up early when we came in. The outside seating looks nice even though it looks out on Leavenworth. If it had not been raining I would have liked to sit out there. It seemed like the mother was the cook and the daughter was the waitress. It was friendly, fast and clean. I will go back, plus I still need to try the goat. El Rebano 3572 Leavenworth Street Omaha

No comments: