Thursday, February 21, 2008

fennel and blood orange salad

This is such a refreshing salad. I love the crispness of fennel. And that soft fennel flavor of herb, citrus and anise. I peeled the outer layer and the stems off. I will save them for stock. Some one told me that Prometheus used a stalk of fennel to steal fire from the gods.

When I can’t get fennel I use jicama. I add pepper, radishes, apples or whatever I have on hand. A shallot orange vinaigrette works best. I change up the vinaigrette too, adding a bit of honey, garam masala or even a nice mustard where needed. I was out of shallots tonight so I added scallions for a mild onion flavor. They added a nice green element too. Thin slices of vegetables work best I think. And of course I like to supreme the oranges.

The fennel I bought seems a little milder. It still has a nice flavor just not as much anise tang as some. This salad goes well with fish or on top of some nice greens for a light meal. I also like it the next day when all the ingredients have had time to combine.

No comments: