Thursday, February 21, 2008

Congratulations Mattel


Barbie
Originally uploaded by yellaumbrella
I was on my way to buy some frozen peas.* When I walked past these monstrosities. I was so taken with them. Barbie waffles? I had this deep urge to buy them.

Now, I’m frugal. I say frugal but I might actually be something that rhymes with my favorite marshmallow Easter treat. I almost always buy the store brand. I shop at ethnic grocery stores for better and cheaper vegetables. I, like certain family members wash out plastic bags and wipe off tinfoil to reuse.

But, I wanted these waffles. Barbie what power you have over me! My sister and I loved Barbie.** Maybe that is why I wanted them. It reminded me of the hours spent making up stories and dreaming . I wonder what they taste like? I didn’t get to really look at them. It was busy and people were giving me funny looks for taking a picture of the freezer case of Barbie waffles.

* Frozen peas are my comfort food. A bowl of warm peas with a little butter and seasoning. Mmmm

**We even had a Barbie record the only line of any song I can remember goes “Barbie and her friends. Barbie and her friends.” Over and over

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Oh, Barbie, you put us under your spell again. What is there that doesn't boast your co-branding these days?

Although I do vividly remember her many friends, outfits and dramas, Tanya Dee, I cannot say that buying her "endorsed" items excites me.

It seems like Barbie has become a staple of this generation's childhood too... though I worry it may be more about products and less about immagination.