Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bulgogi Bento Box

I took my girlfriend out for a celebratory lunch and I finally got to try the Korean dish I have read about- bulgogi. It is thin strips of sirloin are marinated with soy sauce, sugar, scallions and mushrooms and then grilled or fried. The beef was very tender, rich and flavourful. The sweetness and soy were very strong but well balanced with the beef flavours. There was a bit of excess oil used, which would lend me to think this was pan fried. Next time I hope to try a grilled version. I could only eat about 1/3 of the bulgogi portion with all my rice to balance out the strong flavours. Jijesh enjoyed the leftovers! Since we were at a Japanese resaturant (Sushi-Ya Japan on Airport Road, Toronto) I opted for the bento box- which also included shrimp and vegetable tempura, spinach salad, miso soup, rice and green salad. Not bad for $9.